The strawbridge-shepherd house is a historical house located at 5257 Shepherd Road in Springfield IL. Thomas Strawbridge and his wife Mary lived in this house from approximately 1845 until his death in 1867. The Strawbridges were very proud of their home and built a brick gate across the top of the front porch. During the Civil War it was used to house Union troops while they were housed there.
The strawbridge-shepherds house was later used by the John C. Fremont as their main place to live. They had a store two saloons and other such things in addition to the home. The house was sold to the L.G. & E. Davenport Company. in 1920. When the company was bought by the Eller Family they restored the strawbridge-shepherds house to its former glory and named it after their son and daughter Arthur & Mildred Eller.
Over time the Shepherd house became a favorite place for tourists to stay during their visit to Springfield. In the early nineteen eighties the local government and the Eller family made plans to turn the house into a hotel. The hotel was completed in March of nineteen eighties but it sat empty for several years due to financial mismanagement. When it was finally occupied it was called the Stable & Stockton Hotel. It has since been remodeled and is available to visitors for a reasonable nightly rate. Many of the original furnishings remain and are displayed proudly on the rooms’ interior.